New Brunswick History and Other Stuff

Capt. William Owen’s Journal, Campobello, 1770-71

with one comment

From the blog at

The following is from The Journal of Captain William Owen During His Residence in Campobello in 1770-71, edited by W.F. Ganong, N.B.H.S. Collections Vol. 1, Saint John, 1897.

This is an important document in my view, and it is at least a very interesting one. In Ganong’s words, “Belonging, as it does, to the most valuable class of historical records, those written on the spot with no motive for falsification, the journal gives us trustworthy evidence upon several subjects of considerable local importance. It pictures in simple outline the interesting events and customs of the time; lets us breathe something of the social atmosphere of the day and place, and recalls a regime very different from that of the present.”

William Owen established the first significant settlement on the island of Campobello, and kept a large diary which was thought to have been lost. William Ganong discovered during the early 1890s that the diary was in the possession of Owen’s granddaughter in England, but she was not willing to let it pass from her hands. Instead, she transcribed that part of the diary dealing with Owen’s time on Campobello and gave that transcription to Ganong. It is that version that Ganong published in 1897.

William F. Ganong was a careful and competent researcher, and added substantial footnotes to the diary. I selected parts of some of the footnotes and included them between square brackets in the following.

Harbour de Lute 

Harbour de Lute, Owen’s landing place

The diary follows:


Extract From the Journal of Capt. Wm. Owen, R.N., who Settled Campobello in 1770

The Island of Campobello was granted to Capt. William Owen, R.N., in 1767 by Lord William Campbell, the then Governor of Nova Scotia, which province included New Brunswick, and also presumably part of Maine. On the 7th April, 1770, Capt. Owen having purchased a vessel called a Snow, on account of its build and rig, which he named the Owen, started from Liverpool and arrived at Halifax on the 21st May, and on the 27th of that month proceeded to Campobello which he reached on the 4th June — the birthday of King George 3rd. [A snow is a vessel like a brig, but with a second mast behind the main mast, which bore a fore and aft trysail or mainsail.] Here the “Owen” anchored and moored in the N.E. cove of Havre de L’Outre, [now Harbour de Lute] in the Island of Passamaquoddy [now Campobello. The transcriber’s voice ends here and Capt. Owen carries on.] I soon after went on shore and found three New England families settled here without legal authority, who cheerfully acquiesced in coming under my jurisdiction. [These were probably the families of Robert Wilson, and of Hibbard Hunt, and possibly of William Clark.] I fixed on a spot for building a town, to be called New Warrington, and formally named the Harbour Port Owen [the first cove east of Windmill Point, now called Curry’s Cove], and the Island Campo-Bello; the latter partly complimentary and punning on the name of the Governor of the Province, Lord William Campbell, and partly as applicable to the nature of the soil, and fine appearance of the island; Campo-Bello in Spanish and Italian being, I presume, synonymous to the French “Beauchamp.”

List of my Indentured Servants at Campobello—

38 people having come out from Warrington in the Snow Owen:


Names Quality or Trades Rage of Wages


Wm. Isherwood Esq. Clerk and Assistant £60 increased to £100 per ann.


John Montgomery My Servant  


Sarah Haslam Housekeeper  


Jane Johnson Housemaid 1s. 6d. per week


Richd. Atwood Armourer and Blacksmith 7s. per week


Wm. Ryan Fisherman and net weaver 6s. per week


Evan Williams Fisherman and net weaver 6s. per week


Wm. Drinkwater Husbandman and labourer 6s. per week


John Drinkwater Husbandman and labourer 6s. per week


Benjamin Mather Butcher 6s. per week


Charles Whitnell Brickmaker, burner and labourer or shoemaker 6s.


Lewis Jones Mariner and fisherman 6s.


John Holliday Shipwright, caulker and seaman £3 per month


Joseph Caldwell Tailor 6s. per week


John Lawless Barber and gardener 6s. per week


Catherine Lawless ) Cooks,  


Mary Lawless ) housewives, At 2s. and 1s.


Elizabeth Whittal ) washerwomen, 6 each per


Eleanor Newell ) and spruce beer week


Mary Jones ) brewers  


James Gregson Labourer 6s. per week


John Clark Husbandman and labourer 6s. per week


Richd. Clayton Husbandman and labourer 4s. per week


John Unsworth Carpenter, joiner and Boat builder 8s. per week


John Clotton Carpenter, joiner and Boat builder 8s. per week


John Lockitt Ploughman and labourer 6s. per week


Wm. Mollineax Potash burner 6s. per week


Wm. Douglas Miller and Husbandman 6s. per week


Thomas Green Cooper and labourer 6s. per week


Thos. Gregory Carpr., Joiner, Wheelwright 8s. per week


John Hurst Ploughman and gardener 6s. per week


James Bate Gardener, clay caster and delver 6s. per week


Joseph Hershaw Bricklayer, maker & burner 9s. per week


John Robotham Potter and labourer 6s. per week


Adam Kingsley Mason, slater and plasterer £25 per annum


Nicholas Rollin Fisherman and labourer 13s. 6d. per month


Edmund Mahar Labourer £1 11s. 6d. per month


John Gendergrass Fisherman £1 per month

By the foregoing list it appears that I took out with me people of almost all trades and callings, and that I was thereby enabled to carry on the business of my infant colony without calling in any auxiliary, or further mercenary aid; but justice obliges me to say, that I found upon all occasions, cheerful and efficacious assistance from about fifteen good men that composed the crew of the “Owen” during their stay: Let me also acknowledge the superior abilities I met with, in the New Englanders, when upon any particular emergency I thought it proper or necessary to employ them, especially in felling, squaring, and providing the “Owen’s” lading of timber and lumber, and lastly let me not forget the friendly assistance of Sir Thomas Rich and the company of H.M. Sloop Senegal, who, to a man, were ever ready and willing to serve me without fee or reward; or at least anything but a little grog. [These acknowledgements clearly inserted at a later date.]

As I do not mean to enter into the minutiae of our proceedings, I shall only observe that my first object was to build a temporary shed to shelter my people; to fell, burn up wood, and clear ground for planting and sowing potatoes, turnips, and all sorts of grain, and garden seeds, which had been amply provided in England; next to build a large and safe Magazine to deposit our stores and provisions in; and lastly to effect the building of warm and comfortable dwelling houses for my people, before the winter set in with its usual rigour and severity.

The different wheels of this complicated machine were set a going, but for what was done during my stay I shall, in a great measure, content myself with inserting in its proper place, the report of twelve Jurors, who viewed my works at the year’s end and made their return upon oath, which was registered and entered in the proper offices at Halifax. On the 4th July in the morning Capt Denny (who was master of the Snow Owen) and I proceeded with one freshwater fisherman in the whaleboat and punt for the falls of Scoodic [the salmon falls at Milltown] to fish for Salmon, arrived there in the evening being 10 leagues. On the 6th we returned with a few Salmon and much fatigued.

Sunday 8th performed Divine Service and in the evening read a sermon to a numerous audience in the new-built store. 11th Lieut. John Preble of Point Pleasant [son of General Jedediah Preble, prominent in the Revolution] lodged a complaint against Pierre Paul Neptune, an Indian, and brother to the Chief of the Tribe, for breaking into his house, maltreating his maid, and compelling her to give him a gallon of rum; Granted a warrant and sent a party to apprehend him, who returned with him handcuffed the next day. After making due concession and satisfaction to Mr. Preble, and swearing to demean himself in strict conformity and obedience to the wise and benign laws which secured his tribe in lives and properties equal to Englishmen, I dismissed him, and all parted friends. On the 30th bought a Moose of the Indians and served it to the people.

August 1st visited by M. Baillié, the Missionary, complaining of some grievances the Indians laboured under; the next morning 1 went up to Point Pleasant and settled all disputes between them and Lieut. Preble, as well as between them and their Priest.

The 3rd a pair of stocks and whipping post was erected near what we called the Market-gate, to deter or punish the unruly, disorderly and dishonest. This evening the Shoal of Pollock came in, which (tho’ strange is true) they never fail doing annually between the 1st and 4th of this month, the fisherman catch them in immense quantities, salt and cure them for the West India Market.

9th Aug. At 6 in the morning, accompanied by Captain Denny and the Pilot, I set off from Port Owen in the Snow’s Longboat properly manned, called at Indian Island, took in James Boyd Esqre. and with a breeze at N.W. and pleasant weather, we proceeded along the Northern coast [he probably meant to say ‘western coast’] of the Island Campobello, through the West passage and from thence stood over for the N.E. head of the Island Grand Manan, where the tide of ebb met us, and the wind died away. Rowed and sailed along the coast of the island till five o’clock in the afternoon, when we landed on a salt marsh on the Western shore of N.E. harbour; called by the fisherman Gull Cove [now Flagg’s Cove, no doubt]; encamped for the night, and shot some black ducks for supper. This is a very indifferent harbour, but may occasionally serve as a tolerable Asylum fishermen and small craft, being sheltered from the S.E. by an island, under which is the anchoring place, and is almost surrounded with ledges.

The 10th having fair weather, we struck the tent, and embarked at 3 o’clock in the morning, with a light breeze northerly, we sailed Through, between the small islands and ledges, and ranged alongshore to the S.W. ward with the ebb. At 6 o’clock we ran aground in the inner passage of the two [between Cheney and Ross Island], which at high water separated a large tract [White Head and Cheney Islands] of the south east part of Grand Manan from the main body of the island, where the long boat became high and dry; and in fact the whole passage was dry soon after. Here we met with John Wood Denny, an Indian and his Squaw, who, to prevent our waiting the tide’s ebbing landed us in his Canoe on the north shore, where we made a fire, boiled the teakettle, breakfasted, and shot some birds. At 9, the long boat being afloat and sufficient water in the passage, and the wind being at S.W., it was with great difficulty we got through with our sails and oars: for the first quarter flood runs here with great rapidity; but it afterwards slackened, and at length sets to the westward. At 10 we landed on the point of the marsh on the south shore, where we pitched the tent, made a fire and boiled the pot. We caught some young gulls, sheldrakes and dippers; and found here Captain Nicholls [probably Alexander Nickels] with a party of Mr. Lane’s men from Gouldsborough, cutting and making hay. We embarked at noon and ran up south-east or (as it is commonly called) Grand Harbour. We called alongside the Hay Sloop, where; the poor fellow that guarded her, gave us some fine lobsters; thence proceeded up to the head of the harbour, where finding the tide had ebbed, we only filled a keg of fresh water, at a small rivulet and turned down again. This Harbour is pretty spacious, and vessels may ride in security, with two fathom at low-water; but I would not recommend it to vessels of burthen, unless in stress of weather, or real business. At 5 o’clock we landed on the inner Green Island [one of several very small islands north of Three Islands and west of Whitehead Island]; where finding no young birds or any diversion, we re-imbarked: From hence the middle of S.E. or Grand Harbour bears N. N.E. 4 or 5 miles and Whitehead E b S ½ S 1 mile; ran into a deep passage between Grand Manan and two islands [likely Wood Islands], proceeded some miles up it, when we laid the long boat, on a fine smooth sandy beach, landlocked; landed and pitched our tent for the night. The 11th morning foggy, and blowing fresh westerly, we dared not venture out; Messrs. Boyd and Black went on a shooting party, discovered a pretty considerable river running from the N.W. into the bight of the passage, and returned with a few wild ducks. At 4 o’clock in the afternoon, being moderate, struck the tent, embarked, and worked down almost as far as the South head of Grand Manan, from which a ledge stretches half a mile to the Eastward [Buck’s Forks], covered at high water, but finding no convenient place to land, or to secure the long boat, we were obliged to return back to our former encampment. The 12th fresh gales at S.W. and very foggy all the morning. Struck the tent at 5 o’clock, embarked, and turned down along shore; doubled the S. and S.W. heads of Grand Manan about the beginning of the tide of flood, and stood over for the main, which we fell in with, about midway between Bailey’s mistake and the West passage [i.e., between Campobello and Lubec]; We ranged close by the Seal rocks across the West passage, along the S.E. side of Campo-Bello, and running through Conway or head harbour hauled up round the N.E. head of Campo-Bello and turning to windward between it and Casco-Bay Island, arrived at 3 o’clock in Port Owen, where we found just arrived His Majesty’s Sloop, Senegal, Sir Thomas Rich, Baronet, Commander, with his Excellency Lord William Campbell the Governor, and Arthur Goold Esqre his Secretary on board, accompanied by their satellites, the Slipper Cutter, a tender of the Senegal’s; the Province Schooner immediately under his Lordships Orders; and the Pilot’s Gigger. The Senegal’s barge came for me, and I went on board there to dinner.

The 16th about 10 o’clock the Priest and almost the whole tribe of Indians came over to pay their compliments to Lord Wm. Campbell, the Senegal soon after saluted with 13 guns and his Excellency came on shore accompanied by his Secretary, Sir Thomas Rich, and his Officers. I waited on the beach with the other Magistrates and principal people of the district, with all my men drawn up under arms, and received them with three vollies. A Congress was held at my house, the Governor settled some complaints relative to encroachments on their hunting ground, the fishermen destroying the Seafowl’s eggs, and some English people [James Brown and Jeremiah Frost] taking possession of a tract of land at St. Andrew’s which had ever been the burial place of their ancestors. He recommended agriculture and particularly the planting of potatoes to them, a civil deportment towards their brethern the English, and a due obedience of the laws; he then presented them with an English Union Jack, and they promised to give up their French Commissions. The Congress over, the Indians returned to their camp; his Excellency the Governor and his whole suite dined at my house. The province Schooner was hauled ashore on the beach, and .some of my people employed caulking and repairing her wood and iron work for nine days successively. The 17th I accompanied Lord William Campbell and Sir Thos. Rich in the Slipper Cutter to Point Pleasant, visited the Indians in their camp and did not return till late at night. The 18th Mr. Boyd and I went with Sir Thos. Rich in his barge up Copscook river, to forbid, in the Governor’s name, two Casco-Bay sloops cutting and carrying away hay, to the prejudice of the inhabitants of our own precinct.

Sunday the 19th performed divine service morning and evening, and baptized a daughter of Wm. Newton’s by the name of Betsey Shepherd.

The 22nd at eleven o’clock in the forenoon embarked with Sir Thos. Rich on board the Slipper Cutter weighed and with a fresh breeze S’ly ran by Indian Island and up the great Bay [Passamaquoddy]. At 3/4 past 1 o’clock we anchored in 10 fathoms water in the western Bay of Chamcook [evidently between Minister’s Island and St. Andrews], and soon after went on shore on the western side, and found twelve of the principal families of our Indians guarding the mouth of Conascquamcook pond [no doubt Kitty’s Cove]. At this season the Sea fowl cast their pinion feathers and cannot fly; the Indians had, agreeable to annual custom assembled all their Canoes and “drove” (as they call it) the great bay, closing in by degrees and at length towards high water had forced them all into this large pond, or lagoon, which has but a very narrow entrance, and at low water the greatest part of it is left dry. .About ½ past 3 most of the water being ebbed out of tile pond, the Indians drove the birds by degrees into a Creek of it to the Northwd where I, with a party of men, woman, and children lay in ambush, and sallied out with paddles and bludgeons; a general massacre ensued, and what escaped us afforded about two hours excellent diversion to the Gunmen and Indian Squaws, who seemed to excel their husbands in dexterity and certainty of hitting their object. About  ½ past 5 the action ceased, and the dead being numbered amounted to 700 in ducks, murrs, coots &c. which after we had taken a few of the ducks, were divided out by the Chief in equal proportions to the twelve families. We embarked at 7 weighed, and turned down the Bay, but finding we did not gain much, and the night being obscure, at 10 o’clock we anchored in 15 fathoms off the N.E. part of Deer Island.

23rd light airs and variable, intermixed with calms; at ½ past 3 in the morning, weighed and came to sail, at about 8 o’clock being low water, ran the Cutter in to Point Pleasant, went ashore at Lieut. Preble’s and despatched an Indian canoe with a note to Lord Wm. Campbell at Campo Bello, not to expect us to dinner — with the next ebb we worked down and got into Port Owen in the evening.

13th Sepr. Sir Thomas Rich was so obliging as to sell me the Slipper Cutter of about 18 tons burthen, with her masts, sails and furniture for 52 Guineas—I called her the Campo-Bello Packet. Mounted my Swivels and Co-horns [Cohorn or Coehorn, a small mortar] on flagstaff mount [Flagstaff hill at Welshpool] and next morning 14th Sepr. the Senegal sailed hence for Halifax; I saluted with 11 guns, the Senegal returned equal.

29th Bought of Pierre Denny an Indian, 400 lbs. of Moose meat for the people, which was in high season and better than beef.

On October 1st leaving John Clark, as overseer of the work on the Island, I took Mr. Isherwood and four men with me on board the Campo Bello, and at 8 a.m. weighed, with the whale boat in tow, and rowed and sailed over for Indian Island, having but light and variable breezes with calms. At ½ past 9 fired a Swivel as a signal for James Boyd Esq. but the tide of Ebb being made, I rowed in and came to with the small anchor in the Cove at Indian Island, and Boyd came on board. At noon Aikin and Flagg, two English hunters came on board in a birch canoe and brought me 55 lbs. of excellent young moose and a fine quarter of Beaver [maybe a ‘quarter’ (28 lbs.) of skins]. At 3 P.M. weighed and came to sail with a fine breeze southerly. At 5 fired a Swivel as a Signal and soon after Mr. Preble and Louis le Blanc, an Indian, came on board in a Canoe from Point Pleasant:—the wind shifted now to N.E., with which we turned up the Grand Bay: at 7 there was very little wind and the night having a very bad aspect, we rowed in under the pilotage of Preble and anchored with the small bower in 4 ½ fms water in a small harbour on the North side of Deer Island, the extreme points of the entrance N.N.W. and N.N.E., and a rock between the two points, in one with Scoodic or the Devil’s head N. a little Westerly [Northern Harbour]. After bad weather on the 2nd and 3rd Oct. which detained them in Deer Island on the 4th still hard gales from the N.W. quarter. At 8 A.M. weighed both anchors carried out the grapnel to the Westward, warped over and came to sail, and at ½ past 10 we entered the mouth of the Magegadewy (Magaguadavic) River, the first reach of which runs in S.E., at 11, being the pitch of high water. Anchored in the second cove on the larboard side in 5 fathoms water. At 1 P.M. all hands went ashore on the Marsh, made a fire to cook— and began to cut and make hay.

5th At 9A.M. took the Slater with us, and in the Whaleboat proceeded up to the falls which are about 3 miles farther up the river. It was here in the latter part of the late war, a French frigate landed a great quantity of warlike stores for the Canadian army, after Quebec was in our hands. Here we found an inexhaustible quarry of fine blue slate for covering houses, of which my Slater put into the boat a sample. We walked across the Portage [eastward of the falls and less than ½ mile], or carrying place about ½ a mile to the still water above the falls, found it a fine large river, on each side plenty large timber. At ½ past 11 we set off on our return and at 1 o’clock landed on the marsh, where hands had been left to make hay and cook the dinner. At 5 o’clock I went down in the whale boat with the ebb to reconnoitre the river’s mouth, and returned with the first of the flood; the rest of the people having, in the interim been employed in packing, carrying on board, and stowing away the hay.

6th We rowed down with the ebb and turned down for Havre le Tete passage, but coming on to blow very fresh, with a rough sea, we bore away for Chamcook harbour where we anchored. Chamcook Harbour is a very extensive basin and its entrance, which is round the east part of the Island is not above half a cable’s length wide at low water. Chamcook Island or Peninsula— call it which you will [Minister’s Island], joins the main land of Conasquamcook to the S.W., by a high beach or bar, which on spring tides is only sufficiently covered for a whale boat to pass over it. In the upper part of the harbour, where we filled our water, there is a good stream for a Saw Mill, and plenty of timber near it.

Sunday 7th the weather being very clear, and a fresh gale at N. we weigh’d about 3 A.M. and ran out of the harbour and steering S.E. by S. entered the passage of Havre le tête about 6 A.M., in running through which with an accelerated celerity from the strength of the ebb tide and force of the wind, not less than at the rate of twelve knots, we were in the most imminent danger of being dashed to pieces against the Egg-rock, at a time when our pilot my brother-justice, Boyd, pronounced us far past it. From Havre le tête to the White horse the course in S. by E.; we past to the Northward of that rock at 5 o’clock, and in about an hour and a half after anchored in Warrington Cove [Port Owen], Campo-Bello.

11th Bought of the Hunters 444 lbs. of Moose for the people.

14th Sent Mr. Isherwood and five men in the Cutter with n fair breeze at S. to Chamcook, from whence they returned in two days with a quantity of flagstones and slate.

16th Came into the Harbour the Virginia packet a sloop from Halifax, bound to Fort Cumberland. Bought a barrel of Flour, some rum, onions and other articles out of her. Evan Williams stole rum out of the store, which he for some time obstinately denied, although he was exceedingly drunk, and proof positive of his guilt. 1 ordered him to be put in the stocks for the space of one hour, with a label pinned on his back “a thief, a liar and a drunkard.” [Ganong found no other reference to the use of stocks in New Brunswick.]

22nd Upon taking a survey of the quantity of spirits, provisions and warm clothing remaining in store, I found I was not sufficiently provided for a long, tedious and perhaps severe winter, not even for the necessary supply of my own numerous family; independent of the people of Indian Island, the young settlers on the Scoodic, a great part of the improvident tribe of Indians, many of whom I was certain if not occasionally relieved by me, must be inevitably starved: I therefore determined, though the season was rather too far advanced for so small a vessel, to proceed in the Campo-Bello as soon as possible to Boston, or some other Port of New England, where I could be supplied. I immediately ordered the Vessel to be stored and victualled, fixt on her little crew, and changed a man with Wilson, my tenant, for his servant Aaron Bunker, a very clever fellow, who was to be my pilot, and like most other New England men was Carpenter, farmer, fisherman and seaman; and without a moment’s loss of time made every necessary preparation for my Voyage.

Voyage of Prudence Bordering on Necessity

23rd After dinner I went on board the Campo-Bello packet, weighed and turned down the West passage — but at ½ past 6 o’clock. being calm, rowed in and anchored in Friar’s head bay. About midnight there came on a fresh gale from the Northward. It was not until the 25th we were able to start again and then we passed through the narrows of West Passamaquoddy and coasting along did not [some word omitted by the transcriber] Penobscot Fort till the 3rd Novr.

Penobscot Fort stands on a peninsula of land, on the western side of the Penobscot river where 1200 acres of land was bought out of Brigadier Waldo’s Grant by the Province of Massachusetts Bay. The fort is large, strong, and commodious, built of logs, garrisoned by the Provincial troops, whose commandant is also appointed Truck-master, to trade with the Indians. He was at this time gone to Boston, but his wife and family loaded me with kindness and civility; it was with difficulty I cd. prevail on them to sell me the few necessaries I wanted, and had I accepted all the presents they intended me in articles of provisions, roots and vegetables, my Cutter would have been loaded.

On the 5th the Campo-Bello anchored in Falmouth Harbour Casco Bay, found riding here a snow, two briggs and 15 sail of small craft and most of the coasters anchored hero and in Hog Island road. The 8th, having agreed with Brigadier General Jedidiah Preble for my supply of stores and provisions, nearly as cheap as I could buy them in Boston, in the evening we hauled the Cutter alongside the wharf; and the next day I ordered the foremost fire place to be taken down to make more room for stowage, got all the ballast out and washed the hold. The following days we took on board as much rum, molasses, flour and Indian corn as we could possibly stow in the hold and battened down the hatches, stowed in my cabin and lockers a quantity of fearnaught, milled caps mitts, hose, shoes and blanketting: and on the deck I took two carcasses of beef and lashed some casks of cyder and other articles.

The 14th, altho’ my vessel was under tonnage and only laden with stores, I made a point of clearing out in form at the Custom-house, as an example to others, for the late repeal of the stamp act had not made the people here more honest or less refractory.

The 16th I got on board some wood, water and vegetables for the people, and at 7 a.m. on the 18th we weighed for Campo-Bello.

Here there is a short hiatus,— a leaf being lost and the next entry is:— [the words of the transcriber]

April 23rd, 1771 Began gardening the frost being pretty well out of the ground. Mounted the Co-horns and Swivels on Flagstaff Mount and scaled them [i.e., cleaned the insides of the canons by firing small quantities of powder]. A fishing schooner, the first of the season, from Newbury bound to St. John’s anchored at Indian Island.

24th Launched a fine large Gondola [a scow], built by my people.

27th Came into the Cove from Boston, Mr. [John] Curry’s Schooner and brought me from John Rowe Esqre. Molasses, Rum, Bread, Indian meal, and sundry other stores.

29th Arrived from Mount Desert a sloop Beale Master, from whom 1 bought 6044 ft. of Boards. Began to set Potatoes.

May 15th Came in a sloop from Copiquid and St. John’s bound to Newburyport, in whom came passenger my old friend and host Squire Upham Justice of the peace at Copiquid.

19th Whitsunday — Divine Service as usual. Came into Indian and Casco Bay Islands, eleven fishing .schooners from different parts of New England to begin the Cod fishery.

20th At 2 P.M. Isaac Bunker in a small schooner came through the West passage, anchored in the Cove, and informed me that the Snow “Owen” from England was working up at the back of the Island. I immediately sent a party in Wilson’s whaleboat round by the N.E. head to meet her, and at 6 o’clock I took some people in our own whaleboat also to assist her in: the night proved .somewhat squally and dark, and it was 2 in the morning before we brought her safely to an anchor in Port Owen. At sunrise she saluted with 7 guns, and I ordered an equal number to be returned, from flagstaff Mount.

25th hauled the Cutter ashore, cleaned and paid her bottom [to ‘pay’, to cover with tar or pitch], fitted her out, put sundry stores on board, and next morning dispatched her for Frenchman’s Bay to purchase a cargo of Staves.

June 2nd The Cod and Haddock fishery is now commenced and carried on successfully.

4th being the anniversary of H. M’s birthday and of my arrival at Campo-Bello at noon fired 21 guns on flagstaff Mount and at one o’clock the snow Owen fired 7 guns on the same occasion. A Jury was summoned to view and report the state of the work and improvements done on the Island to the bench in a special sessions of the Peace holden this day for that purpose. The Campo-Bello returned this day from Frenchman’s Bay.

11th The Snow Owen having completed her Timber lading, in the evening she fired a Gun to announce the same; next morning she bent sails, and the foretopsail was left loose as a signal for sailing; having nothing more to take on board except 2000 lbs. weight of Beaver, some Otter and other skins. By the Snow Owen I was first informed for a certainty of the probability of a rupture with France and Spain, tho’ such a report had for some time prevailed among our Indians, who by the bye, in their hearts still bore a stronger affection and warmer attachment towards their old friends, the French than the English. I determined therefore, to return to England and leaving Captain Plato Denny to direct, conduct, and superintend the affairs of the Island, I took the command of the Snow Owen in his room—and on the morning of the 14th June I embarked my family, servants and baggage and soon after went on board myself, accompanied, by all the principal people of the district. About noon weighed and towed out of the harbor, attended by the Campobello Packet; and was soon after saluted with 7 guns and three cheers from Flagstaff hill, to which I returned 5 Guns and three cheers. As soon as out of the harbour, a fresh breeze sprung up from the Southward with which we stood down the sound; and at 3 o’clock being about 3 miles to the Westward of the Wolves, the gentlemen of Campo-Bello having washed down their dinners, brought to sent them on board the Cutter, and she stood for the Island again.

Capt. Owen called at Halifax on his way home, but there is no further record of his doings after the 17th June: the remainder of the Journal is missing. [These are the words of the transcriber.]


Written by johnwood1946

January 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Posted in Uncategorized

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. My Great Great Great Grandfather was William Clark, he was my Grandmothers Great Grandfather (Madeline Clark Rice) married name! She spent most of her life in Pembroke, Lubec, and Eastport and other areas in Maine!

    Kathleen Rice Jacques

    January 17, 2017 at 7:32 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: