johnwood1946

New Brunswick History and Other Stuff

Grand Manan

leave a comment »

From the blog at https://johnwood1946.wordpress.com

Following is an edited version of one chapter of the History of Islands and Islets in the Bay of Fundy, Charlotte County, by J.G. Lorimer, Saint Stephen, N.B. The objective was to shorten the presentation, which was not as successful as I would like though it is now reduced to about one quarter the length of the original. If the unedited version is wanted, then it can be found online. Curiously, some of the dates cited by Lorimer are from the 1880s although the book was supposed to have been published in 1876.

This is a detailed description of Grand Manan, its people, and their physical surroundings in around 1876. There are stories of early settlers, saints, rascals, industry, shipwrecks, and everything that a family historian or genealogist would like to see. Gannet Rock

The Gannet Rock Lighthouse, Grand Manan

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Grand Manan

The main island of Grand Manan is about 20 miles long and 8 miles across and was established, together with its surrounding islands, as the Parish of Grand Manan in 1854.

Much of the Islands’ early history is lost to us today. We have no stories of the visits of the Passamaquoddy Indians, for example. We do know, however, that Champlain visited in 1604-05, and referred to the main island as Mcnthane in one instance and as Manasne in another. Walter McLaughlin of Southern Head once found a large anchor that had lain beneath the salt water for a long time. He found the anchor in 1842, and the shank was eleven feet long and seven inches in diameter. It was estimated that it originally weighed some 1,400 lbs., but was reduced by the passage of time to less than 800 lbs. It is thought that this anchor must have belonged to Champlain.

Some Early Settlers:

A family named Bonny arrived from the mainland in around 1776 and established themselves at Bonny’s Brook. However, they were ordered to leave by the Passamaquoddy and only returned after the American Revolution. The first white male child born on Grand Manan was Alexander Bonny, born at Bonny’s Brook. He became a Baptist Minister.

Another one of the earliest settlers on the island was Moses Gerrish of Massachusetts who was attached to the royal army. There were also Thomas Ross and John Jones; Jones returning to the United States, Gerrish and Ross remaining. A great-grandson of the American revolutionary, Colonel John Allan, is lives on the island today. Mr. Gerrish became a Magistrate. A second wave of newcomers included William Cheney and family from Newburyport, and others. Gerrish and Ross left no children; but Cheney’s descendants are numerous. His daughter Barbara was the first white female child, born on the island in the year 1787. Other settlers were the Daggetts, Smalls, Guptills (then spelled Gubtail), Wormells, Ingersolls, Bancrofts, Woosters, Ingalls, Newton, and others. All of these were from the old colonies of the States.

Daggett erected a grist-mill at the head of tidal water at Grand Harbour, near the present residence of Mr. John Daggett, and Wooster built a tannery and began the manufacture of boots and shoes. Fish were too numerous to encourage raising grain for the grist-mill or for the tanning hides, however, and both industries gave way to the fishery. Those were the days when herring, cod and pollock would rush into Grand Harbour in such immense schools that the ebbing tide would leave them in countless numbers on the shore.

In justice to others, first settlers also included John Kent, Dr. Faxon, and the family names of Franklin, Smith, Bryant, Blake, Blanchard, Bingham, Benson, Southwick, Baser, Rich, Moon, Flagg, Russell, Morse, Sprague, Chapman, Richardson, Kemble, Fisher, Fry, Barker, Kimball, Shepherd, Woodberry, Drake, Cameron, Standwick and others such as Josiah Winchester and Daniel McLaughlin from Nova Scotia. But very few of the original settlers have left descendants.

In addition to the names of the earliest settlers on the island, we find, Waller, Gaskill, Thomas, Dixon, Burke, Craig, Drugan, Redmond, Ryan, Kendrick, McLennan, McCarty, Boyle and others. Cochran Craig and Thomas Redmond taught school for several years. Another name, Snell, merits mention—he too, taught school on the island.

One of the first settlers of Seal Cove, if not the very first, was a man named Wheeler who was part of a gang of counterfeiters including a Ball, a Gates and a Woodbury. They had their headquarters at Devil’s Head on the St. Croix and coined counterfeit silver quite extensively. Officers were sent to arrest the gang, and Ball shot one of them. He was subsequently arrested, tried and executed in the State of Maine. Woodbury was also convicted and had his ears “cropped.” Gates eventually found his way to Nova Scotia, living to old age. The present lighthouse keeper of Gannet Rock Light, W.B. McLaughlin, when a boy, had often seen Gates and heard him relate much of Grand Manan history. Wheeler was lucky to return to Grand Manan settle at Seal Cove. He eventually starved to death, however! At his death, his emaciated wife travelled over rugged rocks from Seal Cove to Harbour Island to find help to bury him. The dies used by the counterfeiters, were cast out of a boat near the centre of Seal Cove Sound, between the red cliffs near W.B. McLaughlin’s residence, and Hardwood Hill on Great Wood Island. They were discovered and recovered a few years ago, near the spot where Wheeler’s log hut stood.

After the death of Wheeler, two brothers, John and Joseph Blanchard, came to the island from the States, and made their permanent settlement at Seal Cove. Next followed Henry Kemball and James Parker and, in the year 1800. Doctor John Faxon came and settling at Seal Cove Creek on Lot No. 46. The Doctor brought his family with him and opened a passage through the sea wall into the cove. This created a little high water harbour for small vessels. The Doctor brought with him a Scotchman by the name of John (Jack) Tar. Tar had sailed under the command of Paul Jones, a pirate captain, so Jack Tar, must have been one of the crew and a pirate. Jack Tar boasted, especially, when he was on a spree that he fought under Paul Jones on board the Bon Homme Richard, in the bloody engagement with the British frigate Serapis. Jack Tar was on another spree one night, and Dr. Faxon had had about all that he could take of him. The doctor threw him out of the house but, in the storm and darkness, and in liquor as well, he fell over a cliff and was found on the rocks the next morning. His remains lie buried near the sea  near where Cyrus Benson now resides, at a place which is called Tar’s Cove to this day.

Between 1809 and 1811, Dr. Faxon launched the first and only full-rigged ship ever built on Grand Manan. It was about 500 tons, and was called it the John. The doctor left the island in about 1812 and never returned. His property ended up belonging to the Ingersolls, Bensons, and others, who built ships for a time. In 1846, the brig Wanderer of 130 tons was launched from Benson’s shipyard. The Wanderer proved to be the last square-rigged vessel built on the island. Many other ships have been built since, however, including the Grape Shot and the Anglo American. The Anglo American was the fastest sailing vessel along the coast of New Brunswick, or Maine. She was 102 tons and, as a fruiterer between New York and the West Indies, she made the quickest runs of any others on the line.

In the War of 1812, Grand Manan became a rendezvous point for privateers. On one occasion a privateer seized a vessel at anchor in Bonny’s Brook. Having caught one vessel, they decided to try for another, and pounced upon schooner Sally, owned by Wooster and Ingalls, who had removed a plank from Sally’s bottom, rendered the craft unseaworthy. The privateers tried to repair damages, but failed, and the Sally was saved.

At another time, privateers came to Seal Cove, calling on Joseph Blanchard. They demanded a supply of potatoes but Blanchard refused and told them that if they wanted his potatoes then they could go and dig them up themselves. On yet another occasion, a British cruiser chased a privateer who ran ashore on the western side of the island. The crew escaped to the woods and found their way to Seal Cove where they stole a boat and landed safely at Cutler, Maine.

Deep Cove is a few miles southward of Seal Cove, and was settled in 1816, by William Henry Silas Card and Dyer Wilcox, and the year following by William Robinson. Robinson was a Dutchman and a British soldier and had fought under General Braddock. At the close of the war, he located at Yarmouth and subsequently moved to Deep Cove. He finally returned to Nova Scotia, where he died at the age of 110!

Daniel McLaughlin was also a disbanded soldier and came to Deep Cove in 1829. He had been discharged from the Royal Artillery at Halifax and received a grant in Annapolis County. McLaughlin arrived on Grand Manan with his wife and two children and became a hunter of birds. Daniel’s son, also Daniel, became a seaman, and commanded large ships from time to time between San Francisco, New York, Boston and other American ports and Europe. Another son is the keeper of Gannet Rock light, and the eldest son is the present keeper of Head Harbour light on Campobello. The youngest son is settled at Seal Cove.

Surrounding Islands:

Nearly opposite Seal Cove and a mile or two distant is an islet called Inner Wood Island, which provides a defense from southerly winds to Seal Cove. Outside this island lies another known as Outer Wood Island. These islands were first settled by a man called Gerrald, and subsequently the inner island became the property of William Ross who put a man named William Green in charge. The heirs of William Ross made claim to the island but Green remained in possession until he died. After Green’s death, his sons continued to hold the property by possession, and so became owners. Inner Wood Island is now divided in ownership between two families, Greens and Wilcoxes. Oxen, cattle and sheep are raised on the two islands.

The seagulls of the Wood Islands have an unusual habit, and that is to nest in trees. This appears to be an adaptation against creatures, mostly people, which would steal their eggs if they were to nest on the rocks.

A small group of five small islets, or islands, lie to the southward and eastward of the Wood Isles, at a mile or two distant. They are termed Three Islands. The largest of the group is also called Kent’s Island—having been first settled by Captain John Kent, whose son, Jonathan was, at one time, keeper of the Gannet Rock light. The other four islands are Sheep Island, Hay Island, and the two smallest called Green Islands. There are some spots of good tillage on the first named, and excellent pasture for sheep. There are two rocky islets, called Green Island and the White Horse, lying directly south of Outer Wood Island.

Gannet Rock is 6-1/2 miles to the south-west head of Grand Manan. The Indians called it Menaskook, and it is a concrete of flint, pebble-stone and sand, conglomerated into a solid mass, forming an acre, more or less. It has been the scene of many a disaster with a death-record as bad as the Goodwin Sands or Sable Island. One of the first shipwrecks at Gannet Rock was a brig bound from Boston to St. John in 1759. There were, independent of officers and crew, nearly one hundred persons intending to settler in New Brunswick—all drowned, whose bodies were never recovered. The survivors, passengers and crew, after temporarily repairing the only boat saved, landed at Deep Cove, where they remained until the next spring, when they were taken to L’Etang in a Small sloop. In 1831, the brig Rosemont, bound for St. John with a general cargo, met her doom at Gannet Rock; and in November 1845, the barque Mary from London was also wrecked here, and the second mate drowned.

A lighthouse was erected at Gannet Rock in 1831. John Purvis was the builder and Joseph Hogg put up the lantern, or light-room. Captain Lamb lit the lamp on Christmas-eve, 1831, and was the first lighthouse keeper.

Captain Lamb served as lighthouse keeper for four years before he was transferred to a smaller rock off Quaco Head, nearer the mainland at Saint John in 1835. Mr. Miller succeeded Captain Lamb, and both he and an assistant were drowned in the summer of 1837, when Jonathan Kent, son of old Captain John Kent, took over, remaining in charge until October, 1843 when he resigned for an inshore station. Henry McLaughlin, the present keeper of Campobello light at Head Harbour succeeded Mr. Kent and kept the situation until the year 1853, when he, too, resigned for an inshore station. Walter B. McLaughlin, brother of the then keeper, entered upon the duty on the rock from 1845 to 1853. In 1845, a thick stone wall was built around the tower to protect it from the storms of the Bay of Fundy.

Some Imported Wildlife:

Grand Manan up to the year 1854 had no toads, frogs or snakes—and not even foxes. Gannet Rock lighthouse keeper McLaughlin introduced the toad to the island, and followed it up with foxes and frogs in 1874.  Te original stock of toads was only four, but in less than twelve years they were found on all parts of the island.

John Wilson of Chamcook brought over deer to the island about the year 1845, and they multiplied rapidly. Indians and whites alike killed them at all seasons of the year until this was prohibited.

The American hare (rabbit) was introduced here by William Green, who became proprietor of Inner Wood Island. The rabbit, like the toad, is now numerous on all parts of the island.

Grand Harbour, White Head and Surrounding Islands:

Access by larger vessels to Grand Harbour is restricted by an insufficient depth of water at low tide. Isaac Newton has a wharf extending from his store and large-sized schooners load and discharge cargo without difficulty, however. Mr. Newton’s residence, built a few years ago at a cost of three thousand dollars is impressive. There are other fine houses at Grand Harbour. Turner Wooster, of the Customs office, has a very fine cluster of buildings, and Allen Guptill, John D. Guptill, and John Daggett, have convenient and tasty dwellings also. There is also a new schoolhouse here.

The Free Will Baptists have a neat place of worship, and the congregation includes most of the people in the vicinity. The Episcopal Church is a stone edifice, and the Rev. W.S. Covert is the present missionary. He takes a lively interest in temperance, and lectures on the subject with earnestness.

The first Episcopal Church at Grand Harbour was a wooden structure which was lost in a fire. Quoting from a sermon by the then Rector, Rev. John Dunn, we have: “Whereas, on the night of Wednesday, the 9th of October 1839, at about 12 o’clock, the whole interior of St. Paul’s Church in this parish was discovered to be in flames, which in about one hour consumed the building; and, whereas, certain circumstances (particularly the suspending in front of the church, from a triangle, a figure, in which was found a paper, containing language which betokens premeditated malevolence and hostility against the Bishop of the Diocese, against the Rector of this parish in particular, and four other persons of this county) prove it to be the work of an incendiary; its destruction also attempted by fire at Easter in the previous year, 1838, prove that the burning of the church with the atrociously aggravated circumstances attending it, demand the expression of an unqualified abhorrence of the deed and its perpetrators.” It was also stated that “A list was attached to the foregoing, containing the names of the wardens and vestry, fourteen in number, with 124 others.”

The first of the lobster factories at Grand Harbour was the work of John Cook, who had been a druggist in Carleton, St. John. That was in 1858. His factory was near the home of Philip Newton, and it gave employment to many hands. Canned lobsters were exported to Scotland and the business thrived. Mr. Cook was able to retire in comfort back in Carleton.

One of Cook’s sons also went into the lobster business on Deer Island, but not with the same success. Another son, who married the daughter of Cochran Craig, undertook the business on this island but did not succeed and opened a holograph saloon at Woodward’s Cove instead. That business also did not succeed and he then moved to Carleton.

Another lobster factory was started at Seal Cove by Bradford & Hartt, which employed many people and was profitable. A firm in Boston, Underwood & Co., having learned of these successful operations purchased a lease from Turner Wooster and erected a cluster of buildings, outstripping all previous facilities.

Mr. Mitchell, a Scotchman, the superintendent for the Boston Company, has processed tons of lobsters through Wooster’s Wharf at Grand Harbour. This gives employment to four tinsmiths, twenty-four men and boys, and fifteen girls, total forty-three hands in the factory. In one season the Grand Harbour factory received 625,559 lbs. of live lobsters, and canned from them 125,865 lbs. The shells are used as a top-dressing fertilizer in the vicinity.

Grand Harbour is becoming a neat, pretty village, with neat houses and other buildings; for instance, its church, meeting house, schoolhouse, customs house, magistrate’s office, stores and lobster factory. It lacks a blacksmith’s shop, hotel, cordwainer’s shop, &c., to fill up the village. The schoolhouse is the best on the island. Notwithstanding any shortcomings, Grand Harbour, being located at nearly the central part of the island, must command a prominent position.

The customs office originated here during Sir John A. Macdonald’s premiership and while our present Lieut. Governor, Hon. S.L. Tilley, was Minister of Customs at Ottawa. The appointment of customs officer was offered to Isaac Newton, who refused it, and the present officer, Turner Wooster, accepted it. The island has always been an isolated community, and the islanders have always traded freely without tax or duty. The growth of the country has increased the need for taxes, however, and taxes must therefore now be paid.

Woodward’s Cove:

Woodward’s Cove, is quite a village. Here, is Small’s house, where food, drink and lodging can be found. Here also are two blacksmith shops, a schoolhouse and a temple. Three or four years ago, John Fraser of St. Stephen came to Grand Manan and opened a trade at Woodward’s Cove. He is a remarkable man, being blind in both eyes and missing an arm by an accident in St. Stephen. He has purchased land at the cove, put up and carries on a trade in a large building, erected smoke-houses, built a wharf, a unique schooner—the E.A. Fraser—and made other improvements. His son keeps the post-office at the cove in his father’s store, and it is a valuable asset to the people of the vicinity.

Another large store, well filled, is kept by Nelson Small, a naturalized American, who came here about the time of the American Revolution and began trading on a small scale. He has been successful and gives good competition to Mr. Fraser. There is also a cooper shop at this cove, under the care of George Anderson.

There was an exciting scene at Woodward’s Cove in 1867. A whale entered a brush weir and, then tried to head for the deeper waters of the bay. The stakes and the brush refused to give way, and the news spread over the island that a whale was caught. The late Lorenzo Drake made for the scene with a harpoon which struck the whale, whose tail was then lashed to the weir which gave way. The whale then made for sea, but died, and was towed up to high water at the cove, cut up, and the oil divided among the villagers.

The temple, noted above, was erected by the efforts of Mr. Cook, Baptist Minister. Subsequently, it became the property of Joseph Lakeman, of Woodward’s Cove, and Elder George Garraty, came to the island and made several converts to his faith, including Mr. Lakeman. The temple was dedicated by Elder Garraty, and was known as Garraty’s Temple or the Christians’ Temple. Then Elder Garraty left the island, and the Latter Day Saints arrived. Joseph Lakeman became a convert, and was soon ordained to eldership. The present congregation is somewhat sectarian, and the church is known as the Temple of the Saints.

The temple is located on high ground, about a quarter of a mile eastward from the cove village overlooking the Bay of Fundy. The belfry became home to a burglar named Archibald Downey in April 1876, where he deposited bread, milk, ham, pork, butter, dried apples, and molasses, together with sundry utensils for housekeeping. Downey entered the home of James Smith on Saturday night, the 24th of April, and made off with a store of food which he took back to the belfry. Sadly for Archibald, he was discovered and sent to jail for 30 months.

White Head Island has quite a population and contributes to the trade of Woodward’s Cove, which is sometimes called Fisher’s Cove since “Old Squire Fisher” long resided and died there. His son, John, was born on Grand Manan and owns of an express agent office in Eastport, Maine. Alexander, a grandson of Old Squire Fisher left Eastport and established a hennery on High Duck Island, which had belonged to his grandfather. He has since added ducks and geese.

Whitehead:

White Head is peculiarly situated off the main island of Grand Manan. For about two hours before low water, and at the first two hours flood nearly, access can he had without a boat—the ledges and sandbars permitting travel on foot. There are narrow places where the water runs swiftly, but presenting no great obstacle to a safe passage. At all other times of tide, boats must be used.

White Head is under many disadvantages, lacking proper commercial accommodation and a regular postal delivery system. Isaac Newton of Grand Harbour and others are happy to forward papers, letters, parcels, &c., yet the forwarding is precarious and uncertain. These people hope that a postal station will be established in the not too distant future. The fishing at White Head is mostly herring fishing in weirs. Those herring are smoked, and shipped in thousand of boxes. There is a Free Will Baptist meeting house here and also a schoolhouse.

White Head obtained its name, doubtless, from its white appearance as of chalky cliffs. Viewed at a distance it presents an uninviting aspect. A nearer approach, however, soon dispels those impressions, and the little fertile spots, comfortable cottages, smoke-houses, &c. are pleasant to behold.

Sinclairville, or Centerville:

Sinclairville, or Centerville is about two and a half miles toward North Head from Woodward’s Cove. It may have got its first name from an Englishman, John Sinclair, who lived there, and where his sons yet reside. It contains a store, a blacksmith shop, a saw-mill, a schoolhouse, an undertaker’s shop and several farms. The name was later changed to Centreville. The Griffin Brothers firm of Eastport carried on quite a trade here some years ago, and also a Mr. Lawrence, now in Boston.

Centreville has weekly mail delivery, and this has promoted a greater interest in reading. It is a very pleasant place during summer, but can be violently assaulted by easterly storms. It seems to be, for some reason, a favorite location for American and other squatters. Upon the whole, Centreville has many advantages, and the people, being industrious and comfortable. Centreville lacks a church, which is inconvenient. Wharf accommodation at some part of Centreville is also needed.

North Head:

North Head calls for special attention. This is the main harbour of the island. There is a general distributing post-office, the Swallow Tail lighthouse, three wharves (Gaskill’s, O’Brien’s and Dixon’s, and a fourth one under construction by Capt. Gaskill). There is also a splendid schoolhouse, a large Free Baptist Church, millinery shops, provision and clothing stores, groceries and confectionery. There are prosperous farms, fishing establishments, and vessels of large tonnage and boats and dories operate out of Flagg’s Cove, Sprague or Pettes’ Cove, Whale Cove, and the Saw-pit Cove. Here is where the steamers first come.

The amount of trade carried on here is astonishing, taking the population into consideration. Captain James A. Pettes’ house has accommodations for the comfort of a limited number of guests. The table is well supplied; the rooms clean, airy, and spacious; the bedrooms just what they ought to be. The hostess is well-known, and well appreciated by the travelling public.

Swallow Tail a lighthouse is 45 feet from base to deck and the point on which it stands, is 103 feet above high water, for 148 feet total elevation. There is a keeper’s house and other smaller buildings for stores, tools, oil, &c., all painted white. The keeper, Mr. John W. Kent spares no pains to keep his buildings in trim. The light reflectors cast a brilliant gleam over the waters. The view from the Swallow Tail, or west of the bridge, near the Saw-pit can hardly be excelled. Part of the coast of Maine, of the north shore in Charlotte County, Campobello, the Wolves Islands, Pennfield, Chamcook Mountain and the numerous hill tops extending from St. George to St. Andrews are all visible.

Josiah Flagg was the original proprietor of 200 acres of the North Head peninsula adjoining the glebe lot. John Sprague was the early owner of Lot No. 15, adjoining the Flagg lot, and containing 225 acres. A triangular piece of land became the property of Lieut. John Cameron on which reside his two daughters, his grandsons, Capt. Pettes, Peter Dixon, and his grand-daughter, Mrs. E.A. Dixon, and other descendants. A long, narrow strip of land runs longitudinally on the south of the latter line and highway, extending along the shore of Flagg’s Cove to Drake’s Dock and further. Nathanial Daggett succeeded Josiah Flagg in ownership of Lot No. 16, and James Small succeeded his grandfather, John Sprague, in Lot No. 15.

The whole area of North Head peninsula from the present residence of Deacon Rodney Flagg to the Swallow Tail lighthouse comprises about 450 acres. Let the eye look over those 450 acres. We see verdant fields, handsome residences, garden plots, neat fences, fish-houses stored with the finest of fish waiting for the market, and vessels riding at anchor—some going to other ports with the island’s exports and others coming in. There is an increasing population including about 118 children on the school register. Worship services are conducted by the Episcopalian, Rev. Covert and the Free Will Baptist, Rev. Kenney.

At the extremity of Northern Head is Eel Brook which has gained a name on account of its copper ore. But Eel Brook is also noted as the scene of some of the most dreadful of shipwrecks. There is now a fog-whistle at Long’s Eddy, and no shipwrecks have occurred since it was installed.

The Loss of the Lord Ashburton

This story is strictly true, the writer having obtained it from one of the survivors, James Lawson, a native of Bronholm, Denmark, who has been for many years a resident at North Head.

The Lord Ashburton was a ship of over 1000 tons with a crew of 29, including Captain Owen Creary of Pictou, N.S. She had sailed from France for Saint John, but encountered strong winds upon entering the Bay of Fundy and was forced to put again to sea. Over the coming days the crew sighted Grand Manan, and even Partridge Island, on several occasions but were not able to make land. On the night of the January 17, 1857, the wind blew a gale from the north-east with heavy snow. The raging storm continued and blew the ship at will until, on the night of January 18th, the Lord Ashburton struck the rocks off Eel Brook.

The ship listed, the foremast and mainmast went by the board and the mizenmast soon followed. The crew and officers gathered aft on the starboard quarter where the captain and his officers and many of the crew were swept into the sea. Ten of the crew flung themselves into the waves partly under the lee of the ship’s quarter attempting to gain the beach by swimming as best they could. One of these was James Lawson.

Lawson struggled onward but almost failed to save himself. Once he gained a footing he fell exhausted on the beach unable to stand. He cried out and another crew member helped him to the base of the cliff where he remained until daylight; the waves washing up to his waist. Another effort had to be made or he would surely die. So, with no boots and with frozen feet he clambered up the rocks and took refuge in a barn at Long’s Eddy where he was later discovered and taken to the home of Mr. Bennett and his wife. The next day, he was moved to the home of William Kendrick of Whale Cove. Lawson and six others were taken to the Marine Hospital at Saint John in Early in February. There he remained for over five years, having had both feet partly amputated. On leaving the hospital, he remained in Saint John for another three years before he decided to return to Grand Manan.

Lawson took up shoe making on Grand Manan and was well recognized for his work. He married and had two children, a son and daughter. His wife subsequently died, and he remarried.

Of the ten men who reached the beach, seven died of the cold. News spread, and on the morning of the 19th of January, many people collected at the scene, which was then covered by drifting snow. The seven were found in a sitting posture, life-like in their death. In total, the bodies of the captain and his mates, with seventeen of the crew were there: twenty-one in all. In the graveyard at North Head, a lettered board reads: “Here lie the remains of 21 seamen of the ship Lord Ashburton, drowned 19th Jan. 1857.”

Eel Brook:

The seascape at Eel Brook Cove is spectacular, and the land in the vicinity is equally pleasant. There is a farm at Eel Brook and large ranges of pasture where sheep roam. The brook has its source in a small lake about one mile from the shore, called Eel Lake. It is surrounded by a fine growth of hard and soft wood, and on its bank is a small saw mill, which cuts all kinds of short lumber. Indians set eel traps at the mouth of Eel Brook, and catch sometimes in one night a half barrel or more of eels, hence the name of the brook.

Upon approaching the cliff of the eastern extremity of Northern Head from the sea or bay, a human head, as if sculpted from the rock, becomes apparent and, as if to render the rock more impressive, it seems to represent a church dignitary with a cowl, but minus the crosier. It has long been honored with the name Bishop’s Head. By a strange freak of nature’s carving on a rock at the Southern Head, and as if to set off the Bishop’s Head at Northern Head, stands the figure of a woman which has attained the name of the Old Maid. Bishop Grand Manan

The Bishop at Northern Head

John Rait and John Wilson carried on quite a trade in the sawing of lumber and in ship-timber at Eel Brook. Many logs cut at that time remained in Eel Lake until a year or two ago, when they were made into pickets.

The Sea Wall:

The sea wall at the head of Whale Cove is remarkable, chiefly on account of the variety of beautiful pebbles to be found there. The lover of mineral can collect as many porphyry, agate, jasper and other varieties he chooses to take away.

Advertisements

Written by johnwood1946

December 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: